Friday, January 16, 2015

#whimsybykelly2015 day 16

Hello all. I missed posting yesterday. I got part way to completing my sign for my word, however I did not get to scan or post the work I did on it.


I also created a mini book for my It's A String Thing tiles 1-52. The cover is made from a sheet of mixed media paper that I trimmed down to 4 x 8 . I folded that in half so that it was 4x4.




The interior pages are made from catalog pages. I removed the staples from the catalogs and separated the pages. I left them whole and slapped water and paint on one side, let it dry and then did the same on the other side. I painted with different kinds of paint including watercolor, acrylic and poster paints. For the most part I let them  air dry. I used my heat gun on a few of them to help speed up the drying.
sample page 1

sample page 2

 I refolded the pages and cut the papers at 3 7/8 by 3 7/8 so that I had folded paper that I could post four tiles on. I used tiny a tiny rubber band to hold the pages in the book and a tiny rubber band as the closure.

rubberbands and cut page
 I bought the watercolor and poster paints and rubber bands at Family Dollar ($3.00 plus tax total). I then used tacky glue in the four corners of the tiles and posted them on the paper.
sample of tiles posted in book

You can see a very small border of the paper acting as a mat for the tile.
 I do plan to do some type of tangle design on the front and back covers.

About halfway through doing this we had to go to my friend's mother's house because her condition had taken a bad turn. I ended up staying up at her house until 8:45 this morning. I am listening to something on YouTube while I am doing this post and the lady just mentioned a quote she had found. "Go someplace you've never been before." Dalai Lama. I included this quote because over the course of the night I had to administer morphine and an anti-anxiety medicine to his mom. That is a place I have never been before. At this point we are just trying to keep her comfortable and she has around the clock hospice care. I am only including all of this because I was unable to post last night. I did manage to get home for about 5 minutes and I grabbed by little book and my tiles and completed it while sitting at her house.

I plan to make several more of these little books to hold the rest of my loose tiles.

For today (day 16) I finished my "finish" sign for my workspace. I even matted it ( I'm trying to decide if I want to decorate the mat. What do you think?
"Finish" 2015

After looking at the scan, I went back and added a small amount of shading.

"Finish" shaded

6 comments:

  1. I love your string thing minibook. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mini-book is so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job! As far as your mat goes, if it was me I'd either leave it plain (because sometimes you need that splash of white space) or I'd paint spatter it in the colors you used in that piece of art. I think that would look really cool.

    ReplyDelete

Translate