Thursday, August 14, 2014

Long Post

I am posting the pictures I have been working on this week. I haven't posted anything on the challenge sites yet.

These are the ones for Joey's Weekly Tangle Challenge. This week it was to tangle a sun. I think of red, yellow and orange when I think of the sun.

Attempt 1
Tangles: Zenplosion Folds, Wirly Bird
My first attempt involved drawing a circle and surrounding it with Wirly Bird using alternate stripes in the rays. I then attempted to do Zenplosion Folds inside the sun. My first couple were a little off, so I went back and read through the steps again and they got better.I used Colored pencil and graphite pencil to do the shading and coloring on the inside. On the rays I used Micron 01 and 02 pens.

Attempt 2
Tangles: Spiteria(Wanphai Nongrum), Maddie 2(Poppie), Roel variation
My second attempt again involved drasing a circle and I used Roel with only the area closest to the circle being filled. I yjen made avals on the innerpart of the circle and used Maddie 2 a lovely art deoey pattern by Poppie with different fills. For the center I did Spiteria a very beautiful starlike pattern by Wanphai Nongrum.


Sunplosion(attempt 3)
Tangles:Zenplosion Folds, Xplode

My third attempt I thought of the sun exploding, hence the title Sunplosion. I colored the background using colored pencils from yellow to orange to red. I then used Zenplosion folds again with the tangle pattern Xplode.

Attempt 4
Tangles: Footlites, DL Sunray

Attempt 4 colored with colored pencils


I then decided to only use part of the circle on the tile. because Footlites reminds me of spotlights I used that for the rays of the sun. For the interior I decided to use DL Sunray, again because of the rays. I shaded it with graphite pencil and then used colored pencils to color it. Looking at it again I may title this one Sunspots.

Attempt 5
Tangle:Brandee (Anneke van Dam)
 For my last attempt I was looking at Anneke van Dam's blogspot to see the step outs for MacDee and came across her tangle patter Brandee. It looks like flames and she had used a circle to show how well it works around any shape. I already had my half circle prepared and decided to use this pattern (shown above). Since I really did not like my first attempt at MacDee, I thought why not use the patterns together. I rather like it. I used Micron red 02 and yellow 01 for MacDee and Micron 01,08,Graphic 3 and orange 01 for Brandee. I think I'll call it Scottish Heat (what do you think?). I do believe this will be the one I submit for the Diva's Challenge and attempt 4 will be submitted for Joey's Challenge.
Attempt 5 completed
Tangles: Brandee and MacDee (both from Anneke van Dam)
Diva's Challenge
Tangle: MacDee

This was my first attempt at MacDee and was originally a monotangle (plus learning how to do it). I really like the plaid. but I'm not crazy about this tile.

It's a String Thing #53
String Pattern 54
Tangles:Hurray, Onomato, Planateen, Pokeleaf
Colored Pencil, Micron 01 pen




 
I made this the first day it was posted, but wanted to try some other ideas. Pokeleaf and Onomato are two of my go to patterns. I have never used Hurray, but I like the simplicity of it. I have only used Planateen twice because it is a challenge to me. I started not to use it, but decided to step out of my comfort zone. I need to play around with it some more because I really like the way it reminds me of clay tile roofs ( we have a lot of those around here).




I am still working on this one trying to decide a few things. I will post an image when I am finished.


 A while back I indicated I had some WIPs that needed to be done. The image above is one I worked on this week. The next three photos show it at different stages of work.





And the finished project.


Circular
Tangles: Oorbelle (Pennyb), Footlites, Paradox, Easy 3's. Cameo, Maddie 2 (all three by Poppie), Abacus (Lori Byerly), Daggerly, MacDee (Anneke van Dam), Fandango, Kuntsler (Margaret Bremner), Crescent Moon, Da-Kris (Sharon Robinson) and one I am calling Polka

I still have a little more shading to do. I wanted to try some tangles that weren't on Linda Farmers TanglePatterns. It took me several tries to get Da-Kris right, although I do rather like my blunders. I think I will be using all of these tangles again and will be working on "Polka" more in the future.

14 comments:

  1. Well, a lot of beautiful stuff. I LOVE the MacDee sun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you've been busy! I particularly like the last sun and the pea-pod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The finished tile is on my Aug 15 post.

      Delete
  3. lovely work. I especially like the sun with MacDee in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you talk us through the progression of your pieces - it really helps to see how they evolve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I got a little long winded on this post :P

      Delete
  5. All are lovely! Especially I like your String Thing #53 tile! Great the touch of green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm getting a little braver about using color.

      Delete
  6. You were very busy trying a number of things. I like your "Scottish heat" It can be intimidating to try color. Sometime you just have to go for it. I also think the basic black/white is great also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a vision in my head for where I wanted MacDee to go when I did the black and white. It didn't go where I wanted, but it has kind of grown on me.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful work, you are a prolific little tangler, great job. Love your MacDee sun and your Zenplosion Folds are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is an honor to have my Zenplosion Folds complimented by their creator.

      Delete

Translate