Monday, October 20, 2014

Pink

Today's Diva Challenge is to use pink in your tile in honor of her grandmother who died from breast cancer complications, or to honor someone you know who has been touched by breast cancer.
I am a 5 year breast cancer survivor, so this is something that is very personal for me. I also lost a sister-in-law and several class mates to breast cancer. My friend's mother has been diagnosed with metasticized  breast cancer. I was diagnosed, after a routine mammogram, with stage 0, ductal carcinoma in situ, a very common form of breast cancer; I never detected a lump in my regular monthly self examination. I elected to have a partial mastectomy and an implant. Even being cancer free for this amount of time, I still experience fear and anxiety each year when I have my yearly checkup.

I honor this part of my life by incorporating a pink orb into all my artwork as my signature. I use the orb to indicate the circle of life and make it pink to indicate my battle with cancer.

I decided to use Mooka for this challenge today because it reminds me of a heart and filled it with orbs, to represent lives affected by breast cancer, all done with a pink 01 Micron and a pink Crayola colored pencil for shading. I am sure I will be doing another tile for this challenge later this week but I wanted to go ahead and post this today.


30 comments:

  1. so glad you are a survivor, so sad so many have to suffer. your tile does look like a pink heart and is very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story, which touched me deeply. It's so good to hear how you recovered, and now I'll also pay attention for the orb in every tile.
    Your pink heart-shape Mooka is beautiful, and I can now fully understand the orbs that fill it.
    Sending you wishes for good health
    Omer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers to you the survivor! I am always so happy to hear the survival stories as that has not been the case in my family history! Love your orbs and you great pink tile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tile is fresh and lovely! Thanks for sharing your very personal, heart-rending story. God bless you and keep those you have lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful choice of patterns. Congrats on 5 years. Yay pink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful Tile. Beautifully rendered orbs. Wonderful Post. I appreciate your story and wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your personal story; I love the idea of your little orb. The tile is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a beautiful tribute to your own strength! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a fantastic support group of friends and family to get me through.

      Delete
  9. Ooooh, that's really lovely and very pink ;-)
    Like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pink Mooka, and thank you for sharing your story. It does make it more personal to all of us since you are our friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely shaded tile. And a great story. Warrior on!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always wondered about your orb. Beautiful story. Beautiful tile. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for coming by to my blog and leaving a comment on my tangles :) It made my day... I am enjoying the simplicity of your tile :) Mooka is one of my favourite tangles too, and your shading is really lovely :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your tile and being a 5-year survivor. Nice symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had noticed your signature orb before. Now I know the story behind it. A very personal signature! Congrats on the 5 years. May it be times 10 (at least!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You go girl! Stay strong and healthy! You did a fab job with Mooka (I can never seem to get it quite right). Have a brilliant pinky day! c

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful in its simplicity. Thanks for sharing your story, and I am so happy to know you have reached 5 year survival milestone. I am sure you will be around a long time more to provide us with more gorgeous tangles.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Mooka is so beautifully rendered and the color is fabulous. Thank you for explaining the orb in your signatures...I had noticed it earlier and wondered about it. The story behind it is touching. Congratulations on your 5 year survival mark. Here's hoping that you are around a good long while. Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Translate